28 people met at the home of Mr. & Mrs. Edward R. Keating on March 7, 1957 with the Rt. Rev. Joseph M. Harte, suffragan Bishop of the Diocese of Dallas, to present their petition to Diocese of Dallas for the formation of St. Mark’s Mission.
The first service of St. Mark’s, Evening Prayer, was held on March 17, 1957 at the home of Mr. & Mrs. D. R. Summers. The service was conducted by Bishop Harte.
The first recorded service in the parish register of St.
Mark's was September 7, 1958.
Early services were held at the United Christian Fellowship House on the campus of Arlington State College (UTA).
The Rev. George MacCallum, Vicar – August 1, 1957-58
Early congregation of the newly formed Saint Mark's parish
After several homes for St. Mark’s, a one year lease was signed on June 25, 1959 for a new site, a house located at the corner of Ditto & Abram in Arlington. The mission moved in on July 1, 1959.
Saint Mark's - Ditto and Abram Streets
The Rev. George M. Davis, Vicar 1959-60
The Rev. Philip E. Gill, Vicar 1960-62
5 acres of land on South Collins was acquired (current property). The acquisition was approved at a Vestry Meeting on November 27, 1960 and purchase was completed early in 1963.
The Rev. Francis W. Carr, Vicar 1963-69
Newspaper photograph of church construction
Newspaper clipping of church dedication
Photograph of church interior
The Rev. Bill Kennedy, Vicar 1969-1970
St. Mark’s approved to become a parish at the Diocesan Convention in May 1970. The Rev. Bill Kennedy named rector.
The Rev. Bill Kennedy, 1st Rector - May 1970-78
Ground was broken for the first Education Building, now known as Kennedy Hall, on Sunday, February 4, 1973. The building was dedicated on August 19. 1973, by the Right Rev. A. Donald Davies, Bishop of Dallas.
Newspaper photograph of Kennedy Hall Groundbreaking
Kennedy Hall Groundbreaking
Photograph of Kennedy Hall Interior
The Rev. Charles E. Jenkins III, 2nd Rector - September 2, 1979-1985
Ground was broken for the Christian Education Building on August 29, 1984. We moved into the new building on January 18, 1986.
Photograph of Christian Education Building Groundbreaking
The Rev. John G. Gremmels, 3rd Rector – August 19, 1985-1988
The Rev. Keith Ackerman, 4th Rector – 1989-1994
The Rev. Timothy P. Perkins, 5th Rector – October 1995
to October 2010
The Rev. Gregory L. Crosthwait, 6th Rector – November 2011